sb-top
left-sb-top
sidebar decorative image
Leaf

Residential Fire on Sunnidale Road

Residential Fire on Sunnidale Road
Posted on 07/09/2018

Township of Springwater / July 9, 2018 – At approximately 9:30 am on Saturday, July 7, 2018, a passerby driving along Sunnidale Road noticed smoke coming from a residence and called 9-1-1. No occupants had evacuated the home, so the passerby began knocking on windows and doors to alert them to the fire. All four occupants of the home were woken and managed to safely evacuate the residence with their pets before firefighters arrived.

Springwater Fire & Emergency Services responded with four stations and approximately 30 firefighters. Upon arrival, they discovered heavy smoke on the interior of the home. The fire was located in the attic and an aggressive attack was mounted. Firefighters opened the ceiling of the home and vented the roof to contain the fire to the attic. The fire was quickly brought under control with damage limited to $150,000.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an improperly extinguished cigarette and is not considered suspicious.

Springwater Deputy Fire Chief, Jeff French is reminding Springwater residents to always use caution when extinguishing cigarettes or ashes. “Proper disposal of cigarettes and ashes are crucial, especially with the hot, dry temperatures we’ve been experiencing lately. Always dispose of them in a metal container, with a little bit of water, which is stored well away from buildings and combustible materials.”

sb-bottom
sb-bottom2