Voter Information

Voter Information Letters

Voter Information Letters were mailed to all persons eligible to vote in the Municipal and School Board Election at the end of September 2018. Voter Information Letters contain important information on how and where to vote and will be required to cast your ballot by internet or telephone.

If you have not received your Voter Information Letter; please visit the Township Administration Centre (2231 Nursery Road) during regular office hours to make an addition or amendment to the Voters' List.

Voter Help Centres outside of regular office hours include:

Hillsdale Elementary School (16 Albert Street E)
Saturday, October 13, 2018
10:00 am - 2:00 pm

Township Administration Centre (2231 Nursery Road)
Saturday, October 20, 2018 & Sunday, October 21, 2018
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Voting Methods

Springwater residents will have the option of voting by Internet, Telephone or in person via traditional paper ballot. Learn more on the Voting Methods page.

Who Can Vote?

A person is entitled to vote in a municipal election if they on Voting Day:

  • Resides in the local municipality, or is the owner or tenant of land in the municipality, or the spouse of such owner or tenant; and
  •  Is a Canadian citizen, and
  •  Is at least 18 years old, and
  •  Is not prohibited from voting under the Municipal Elections Act or otherwise prohibited by law.

Resident Elector

A resident elector is where a person lives and is eligible to vote in that municipality’s election. A person is only allowed to have one residence.

A person’s residence is the permanent lodging place to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return.

The following rules apply in determining a person’s residence:

  1. A person may only have one residence at a time;
  2. The place where a person’s family resides is also his or her residence, unless    he or she moves elsewhere with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place;
  3. If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where he or she occupies a room or part of a room as a regular lodger to which he or she habitually returns is his or her residence.

Non-Resident Elector

If a person lives in one municipality but owns or rents property in another municipality, then they are a non-resident elector and able to vote in that municipality’s election.

Spouse of Non-Resident Elector

If a person lives in one municipality and qualifies as a spouse of a non-resident elector, then they are able to vote in that municipality’s election.

Homeless Persons

Persons without a permanent residence may also qualify to be added to the Voter’s List during the revision period by submitting an application to the Clerk. If a person has no permanent residence or lodging place, the following rules apply in determining his or her residence:

  1. The place to which the person most frequently returned to sleep or eat during the five weeks preceding the determination is his or her residence.
  2.  If the person returns with equal frequency to one place to sleep and to another to eat, the place to which he or she turns to sleep is his or her residence.
  3. Multiple returns to the same place during a single day whether to eat or to sleep shall be considered one return.
  4.  A person’s affidavit regarding the places to which he or she returned to eat or sleep during a given time period is conclusive, in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

MPAC is not required to include a homeless person’s name on the Preliminary List of Electors. As homeless persons are entitled to electors, they are also eligible to be candidates provided they meet the citizenship, age requirements or are not otherwise prohibited by law.


A person may have residences in two local municipalities at the same time if the person lives in one of the local municipalities in order to attend an education institution but not with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place and the person’s permanent lodging place is in the other local municipality.

Therefore, students can vote in the municipality where they attend school and they can also vote in the municipality where they live. 

Trailer Owners – Campgrounds

Trailer owners in campgrounds are tenants of the campground – therefore, they are potentially eligible electors. Under a timeshare contract, to be eligible, the person must be entitled to use the land on Voting Day or for a period of six weeks or more during the calendar year in which the election is held.

Who Cannot Vote?

The following cannot vote:

  • A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in penal or correctional institution;
  • A corporation;
  • A person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity, except as a voting proxy in accordance with section 44 of the Municipal Elections Act.
  •  A person who was convicted of the corrupt practice described in subsection 90(3) if voting day in the current election is less than five years after voting day in the election in respect of which he or she was convicted.


Additional Resources

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing Website

Municipal Elections Act, 1996

2018 Alternative Vote and Traditional Ballot Procedures

2018 Voters’ Guide for Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections

2018 Election Accessibility Plan

For a full listing of election forms, documents and publications please visit the CivicWeb portal.