sb-top
left-sb-top
sidebar decorative image
Leaf

Springwater Fire Reminding Residents to Use Caution When Disposing of Ashes

Springwater Fire Reminding Residents to Use Caution When Disposing of Ashes

Springwater Township / December 14, 2016 -  At approximately 9:30 am on Wednesday, December 14, Springwater Fire & Emergency Services responded to reports of a garage fire on Coles Court in Midhurst. 

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the homeowner extinguishing a fire in a garbage can that had caught fire as a result of fireplace ashes that were not cooled properly before disposal. They assisted the homeowner to completely extinguish the fire and reminded them of proper disposal methods.

Springwater Fire is reminding all residents to take care when disposing of ashes and always follow these important fire safety tips:

  • When ashes have completely cooled, remove them from the wood stove/fireplace and place in a metal container with a lid.

  • Place the container outside and away from any building or structure. The front porch or back deck are not a good option.

  • Once the container is full and completely free of heat, soak with water and then pour ashes out away from any building or combustible surface.


Published on 12/14/2016
sb-bottom
sb-bottom2