sidebar decorative image

Springwater Fire Offering Tips for a Safe and Fire-Free Holiday Season

Springwater Fire Offering Tips for a Safe and Fire-Free Holiday Season
Posted on 12/10/2015

Springwater Township / December 10, 2015 – With the holiday season upon us, we are entering one of the most festive times of the year, but unfortunately it can also be a deadly time of the year.

Springwater Fire and Emergency Services is urging everyone to pay special attention to ash removal and the prevention of chimney fires during the holidays.

“The hustle and bustle of the holidays can dramatically increase your risk of having a fire,” says Fire Prevention Officer Jeff Corriveau. “All too often, these fires are started by disposing of hot ashes too close to buildings or failing to maintain the wood burning appliance in your home. Have your appliance inspected annually by a certified W.E.T.T. technician and clean your chimney of flammable creosote. Dispose of ashes in a tight fitting metal container away from any building and soak them in water overnight.”

Springwater Fire and Emergency Services is also reminding everyone to install and maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms outside all sleeping areas of the home. Working smoke alarms are required on every storey of the home. Failure to comply with the smoke and carbon monoxide alarm requirements can result in a $360 ticket or a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals and $100,000 for corporations.

Enjoy a fire safe holiday season by following these tips:

  • Stay in the kitchen when cooking. If a pot catches fire, don’t try to move it. Cover the pot with a lid to smother the flames and turn off the burner.
  • Keep things that can burn, such as cooking utensils and paper towels, a safe distance away from the stove as they can easily ignite if they are too close.
  • Drink responsibly and keep an eye on those who do not. Excessive alcohol consumption is a contributing factor in many residential fires.
  • Develop and practice a home escape plan with everyone in the home.

For more tips of ensuring you have a safe and fore-free holiday season please visit